25 Feb 2016

Writing Books Requires a Variety of Talents

1 Comment

As of today, I have ghostwritten about a dozen books, written over 100 technical documents, and published 12 books of my own. I’ve got four books that are written and going through the review process and lots more planned.

The process of writing a book can be overwhelming and time-consuming. Writer’s block is real, and motivation can be difficult at times.

The rewards for a completed book, whether you do it yourself or hire a writer (ghost or otherwise) are tremendous. Seeing that book for sale on Amazon or your website is a unique and gratifying experience. Watching it sell is icing on the cake that makes the effort worthwhile.

But nothing beats the first view of the Amazon book page with the knowledge that it’s your work.

How do I write books?

It all starts with an idea. In ghostwriting or other work-for-hire projects, the idea comes from someone else, but the concept is the same. The idea might be as simple as “big space war” for a science fiction book or “Wonders of LinkedIn” for a book about LinkedIn.

Next comes the outline, which is writing down the structure of the work in the form topic, subtopic, subtopic, topic and so on. It is in order as it is intended, at that moment, to be written. You could think of this as the basic plan for the completed book. The outline can and usually does change as the book is written.

After that, you write each chapter. Some authors write them strictly in order, first to last. I tend to jump all over the place, writing chapters as I see fit in any order.

Reviewing your book

When you have finished writing, the review process starts. You read it through, looking for errors. You’ll find them. Then you read it again and yet again. After the third reading, I like to read it out loud from front to back. Products such as Grammarly (for non-fiction) and Autocrit (for fiction) are very helpful in this process.

Now you need to get it proofread by someone else, and reviewed for content and proofread again. Once it all comes back from the proofreader (or two or three), you read it all again, and I do this step out loud as well.

You’ll also need cover art, and possibly internal art and photographs as well.

Now the book gets marketed, published, and sold.

As I said, it’s a lot of work. But, as with anything worthwhile, the result is worth the effort.


Richard Lowe Jr

Richard Lowe Jr

Owner & Senior Writer, Copywriter, Ghostwriter, WordPress Implementation at The Writing King
Richard is the Owner and Senior Writer for The Writing King, a bestselling author, and ghostwriter. He's written and published 63 books, ghostwritten 16 books, as well as hundreds of blog articles.
Richard Lowe Jr


Author of Focus on LinkedIn, Safe Computing, Surviving Disasters, Help! My Boss is Whacko!, Insider Secrets from a Professional Ghostwriter and many others
Richard Lowe Jr

Leave a Reply

1 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
1 Comment authors
Mat Gunnufson Recent comment authors
newest oldest most voted
Notify of
Mat Gunnufson

This is great Richard. It’s one thing to write. It’s another thing to market. I’ve heard writing is only 10 percent of the battle. The other 90 percent is marketing.